Saturday, February 21, 2009

My Newest Challenge

The roll.

Matthew is now an expert at rolling over from his front to his back. This was exciting at first but then I realized why so many parents also dread it. Its not even that I can no longer leave him lying anywhere high. I had to stop doing that a while ago after I let him fall (oops!). What is the worst of it is that he sleeps on his tummy. I put him down awake and he flings himself onto his back and screams and screams and screams. I then have to walk into the room, turn him over, walk away and this makes him even angrier. It took me an hour and a half to put him to sleep last night when it normally takes a few seconds.

This morning, I put him down for his nap but this time I wrapped up two blankets and shoved them next to him on either side. This ensured he couldn't roll over but I don't know how long it will work. I also have to go into the room afterward and pull those blankets out of the way so they are not a cause of suffocation or anything.

I do think it is pretty special that he is now rolling. How could I not? I was actually a bit worried he wasn't doing it sooner. Just a new adjustment to make.

We have a few other things we are working on:

Sitting up
He still isn't very good at it and he gets very frustrated because he wants to sit up. So Dave solved our problem. We put him in the jolly jumper but at a setting just low enough for him to sit. He wobbles from side to side but he doesn't fall over.

And
Eating cereal in his new chair

Here he is in his new chair. He really loves it. He can sit up and be comfy...

And here he is with his favourite part of eating: chewing the spoon.

3 comments:

Grace said...

Cute!!!!! He is such a beautiful little baby.

Anonymous said...

Dave, What a good idea! Amazing what men think of...Kate, he is lovely. AuntieB

Susanna Rose said...

You've got an inventive husband...I love what he did with the bouncy seat!!!:)