Monday, August 13, 2012

The Dreaded Change

As you know, I was diagnosed with a chronic skin disorder that simply means for some strange reason my skin gets itchy.  Without allergy medication my skin breaks out into hives and I itch from head to toe. Since I was told the news I simply accepted my lot and take Reactin whenever I can't handle the itch any longer.

I was prepared to live it out and watch and see. Maybe it would go away after a few years and that would be the end.

Then I learned some news that gave me a glimmer of hope! Someone I know described almost the exact same problem and discovered, after seeing a naturopath, that by eliminating a few things the itch might disappear.

Guys, I have become gluten and dairy free! Am I excited... nope! I LOVE BREAD!

I am willing, however, to give it a chance! It isn't as difficult as I thought but it is more expensive. Did anyone know just how much dairy and gluten is in our food... It is insane.

One good thing about it is that I am loosing weight while I get more pregnant. I have never seen the numbers on the scale drop at all while I have a baby growing inside. Who knows ho much will come off but it's a perk.

I am only in my third week of the diet, have discovered that I have still been eating things with gluten in it (caramel colour, spices, dextrose, msg...) and am still learning new names for hidden dairy and gluten. I actually carry a list of words in my purse so I can read labels (so lame). I'm still itchy but am watching the frequency of the pills to see if it changes at all. I'll keep you posted. Wouldnt it be great if this worked!

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

Katie, I have done the same thing (dairy and gluten) and I feel so much better overall. I love bread and cheese so much but after a while you don't really miss it. I bake gluten-free stuff for the Natural Food Pantry it tastes great :) Hope this change helps you!
C

Melissa said...

Katie, we've been praying for you every day. I remember the feeling - what can I eat? The cravings get better. You just start craving other things. :) I carried a list of foods and names in my purse too! Grocery shopping gets a lot better once you know for sure what you can eat! I find sticking with whole foods makes it a lot easier. Some days I feel fine with my diet and other days I feel really sorry for myself. :) I really hope this helps you feel better!
Melissa