Monday, June 8, 2009

New Symptom

Migraines!!!
As you can see from the diagram, it happens because a blood vessels gets inflammed due to some sort of trigure that causes it to become very active. This can be a food or weather or stress. I wish I could firgure mine out. Maybe just change in hormones???

This time I actually threw up. Fun eh? Usually I get my aura (odd lights in spots, like after staring at a lightbuld by accident) and when it goes away the headache begins. This time I got really nauseous and thought maybe it was just Teeny and then I started going partially blinde (really unpleasant) and then the headache began while the aura was still happening. It was long and scary and now its all over accept the horrible pain.

This diagram shows the different kinds of auras. the first one (a) is quite small and you only lose sight just in the top corner. The second (b) you lose sight in the same place but to a much greater degree. Picture c looks like the worst but I think I would have to say that d might actually be the worst. It plays a trick on you. You think you can see in a certain spot and then you look there and it vanishes... Today I had either c or d. Im not completely sure... maybe a bit of both.


Did you know that a migraine is a mini stroke? I find that idea pretty scary. However, it causes no issues to a growing baby in the womb... I was sure to look that up right away. I had one last week but it wasnt as bad as this one.

Guess what they say to do to get some relief:
a) sleep
b)find a quiet and dark place
c)take caffeine and tylenol (except when you are pregnant)

None of this seems terribly helpful when you have a baby who isnt quiet or wont let you sleep AND you are pregnant. I did have caffeinated tea which has worked before but it didnt work and also took some tylenol and hope it will work soon.

So, this is different from Matthew. Is it a girl???

Anyways, Im done moaning. Im a woman. We seem to be able to press on through anything.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie, I did not know you got migraines, I'm so sorry! AuntieB

Aileen said...

I used to get then a lot. The trick for me was to pop 2 extra strength tylenol the second I started feeling like I was getting a headache (or symptoms) otherwise I'd be sick all day.

Tylenol (according to my midwives) is fine preg. women. Even nursing ones.

Talk to you doctor next appt. some pressure points can work too.

Niki said...

Oh Katie, I'm so sorry, hopefully this symptom will pass quickly! Keeping you in prayer
Love
Niki

Susanna Rose said...

I'm so sorry you have the migraines! Can't be fun with all you have to do but hopefully they may pass after the first trimester? I like how you went into so much detail...didn't know migraines were mini strokes!:)