Monday, July 20, 2009

The Goal of Your Faith

"Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with and inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls." 1 Peter 1: 8-9

"But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life." Romans 6:22
I hate to admit it but it has been some time since I have spent time in Gods word. I have been struggling so hard to find time for anything but the things I want to find time for are truly meaningless in the long run. My walk with God should be first and foremost on my mind and I have been pushing it farther and farther back.

Today I stopped my sillyness and sinfulness and got my bible from right beside me (it is always that close yet never open) and I opened it up to 1 Peter.

I love Gods word and really dont get why i dread reading it some days. Always so many other things to do. I learned something beautiful through my reading. The goal of our faith. I'd never seen as so simple. In my mind I always though the GOAL would be something much harder- spreading the gospel, growing in wisdom, drawing closer to God. All of these things are, of course things we desire and strive for but the goal is much simpler. The goal of faith is salvation. If we believe, we are saved. That is that. I always knew that I just didnt realize it was our goal.

Gods word always carries something for our hearts and soul. It will never be empty to us if we are truly reading it. I am thankful I opened my bible and read. Such a simple thing to do but so worthwhile. If you havent done it today, I encourage you to stop blog reading right now and open up that bible of yours and learn and grow.

Please, if you feel like it, I would love to hear what you have been learning about. Hearing from you will also feed my soul.

3 comments:

Karin said...

Morning Kate,

Glad to hear you found your bible. I was going to suggest that to help you find your motivation back:) I know thats how it works for me. I feel like I have no time to do anything and so I do nothing. I regularly go weeks without reading the bible and then when I do, I think, how could I have let myself miss out on so much for so long. I find motivation is directly related to attitude. And my attitude towards my house/work/elyssa/life is related to my relationship with God.
Also a practical tip for motivation: set small goals. Don't try to clean your whole house in one day - it won't happen and then you'll get frustrated and feel like you did nothing. especially with a clingy baby, you need to work in 5 minute spurts. clean for 5 minutes, give matty undivided attention for 15 and then clean for another 5. and as he gets older you can incorporate him into cleaning - yes it takes 3 times as long as if you did it yourself, but he is happy.
I hope you are having a good monday. I'll be praying for you too.
Love Karin

Susanna Rose said...

I think regular bible reading is something every Christian struggles with but it always pays to do it! Nothing like relying on God's strength instead of our own!

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts, Kate...I've been reading about Jesus on the mountaintop with Moses and Elijah...in my Spanish Bible that I think helped me see it in a fresh way...Incredible that Jesus wanted to talk over his coming death with two friends....And then later wanted other friends to pray with him in the garden...Completely man as well as completely God! Beautiful and wondrous....AuntieB