Friday, July 2, 2010

Canada Day

For as long as I can remember, Canada day has been a big deal for me. When I was a little girl my mom would take us downtown, in the flow of thousands, to see the parade and the excitement and then we would later go somewhere a little quieter (usually the river) to enjoy the fireworks.

Later in my life I would be spending the majority of my Canada day singing and performing in various lacations downtown as part of the celebrations (people actually came to see my choir on Canada day). We did various works that were Canadian and even some african dancing a few years in a row.

Then I was an older teen and adult and it became normal to head down into the throngs of people and spend the evening guarding a spot in a park with a good view of where we were guessing the fireworks would be and then watching the fireworks right above me. This all took place after a bbq dinner at someones place (and my own when I was older) surrounded by fantastic friends.

This year we tried something new all together. Since our little family has grown and our friends are various places around the area, we ALL decided to head to Ness and Cory's house to celebrate Canada day. Lots of food and good friends and a whole new environment. We chatted, ate, went to the local hub of action and continued to have a great time.

Levi and his new friend Maggie hanging out on the blanket. Maggie has a twin brother, Isaac, but when Levi tried chewing on his foot he called it quits from the blanket.
Yes, its a donkey back there! There was a petting zoo for the kids.
Matty would get so excited when an animal came near him that he would squeal so loudly they would then leave him as fast as they could. Ear Piercing!
A short ride on the swings was a must and Levi enjoyed it... you just can't tell.

We didnt, however, see any fireworks ( I think this is the first year in ... a LONG time that I have missed them). I havent been home since Tuesday morning and the boys (mostly Levi) was really out of it. So we chose to come home so we could get the boys to bed. We sat in bed and watched Gilmore Girls and as I was forgetting it was Canada day, our windows began to rattle and I could hear the explosions. I was sad to have missed out on fireworks with my friends but I know for certain my boys dont have a clue what they missed. What would I rather have, some fireworks and a late night thus making very cranky boys the next day or an earlie night giving us a day with rested boys the next day? You know what we chose and I dont regret it too much. I will admit that it was a very hard decision to make though.

Next year, however, I hope to make seeing the fireworks a must since it really felt much less like a party when I had to miss the finishing celebrations.

Happy Birthday Canada!
Thanks Ness and Cory for inviting us to celebrate in your new nieghbourhood!

3 comments:

Grace said...

Kate,

Love the pictures. Levi is getting so big!

Irene said...

It is wonderful that you guys all got together at Vanessa and Cory's place. It is great that you guys are having kids together and being able to get together at special times. As for the fireworks no worries there is always next year so enjoy those precious little guys while you can because they grow up so fast before you know it. : )

Anonymous said...

Choices, choices....and never perfection....From small things to major - such is life in a fallen world! AuntyB