Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My Saviours

Something I have never been good at is asking for help. Mostly because I havent really needed to much of it up until now. I have always been quick to thank people for offering but them declining their help. Since Levi was born, it is a whole different story.

I want to tell people I dont need their help when they ask but I can't lie. I appoligetically accept their help.

Its all been changing though, and for the better. Some very special people have taught me that being part of a community that can help and love is what we are all about. We accept help and love and we give it back at every opportunity we can. Thats what family does. We should always be willing to give of ourselves and not feel guilty when we need others to give to us.

Here are my lifelines:

Grammie:

My mother had been my biggest lifeline. I have talked to her every day since Levi was born. She calls to check up on me and the babies to see how we are handling everything. And her most frequent sentence is: " I might be out in the morning but you know you can come over and I will be home in the afternoon and I can help you out."

She has kept her Wednesdays open for me. She either comes to my home to help me clean or I go to her place so I can just be still and quiet while she takes on my boys for some time. She has been ready to feed my family at least once, sometimes three times, a week while I dont even lift a finger.

She leads a busy life. She is working at the church, taking care of her home and family, raising her own little man (already 11 years old) and being there for everyone who needs her help... and she still makes time to call me every morning to make sure that if I need her I know she is available. She reasures me that I can always get in touch with her on her cell and that she can always work it out to give me a hand. Just knowing that it is possible to have help sometimes gets me through the day without even needing to ask for it.

Mom, you are an amazing woman. When I see where I am right now, I can hardly imagine that I could ever become a woman like you but I continue to try because I would be doing myself a disfavour if I didnt.

Aunty Jo:

Super Mom! My sister amazes me. She is a mother of 5. Her youngest is 6 months old, is fighting the same cold Levi and Matty have, has had little sleep the last little while and still show up at my house, on her anniversary celebrating weekend, when she heard I got two hours of sleep one night to take my screaming baby out of the house with her so that I can have a nap.

She is always quick to serve you with her amazing cooking and her love. She keeps her days full with raising her busy family and taking care of others little ones as well. I know that no matter what the day, if I give a call she will be quick to tell me to come over and hang out at her place. She would be only too happy to have me there with my boys... even though she has a house full of others who need her attention.

She keeps a beautiful home and provides her family with fantastic dinners and still has time to create beautiful works of art and write amazing things as well as research and organize all he thoughts in such a comprehensible way. I have so much to learn from my big sister.

Tante Ness:

The lady upstairs who is my best friends and sister. Mother of an almost two year old and pregnant with her second which should arrive in the next 6 weeks or so.

Although she has her hands full with her own little ones plus her own health to keep in mind, she has offered to take Matty every morning, if I need her to, so that I can just deal with one little one, get some extra sleep, or have an errand I need to run.

She is always willing to let me come up and "crash her party" when I am feeling lonely or down. I just give a call and say: " Do you mind a couple of visitors?" and the answer is always in my favour. She offers dinner whenever she has extra and is always willing to give a hand in any way that she can. The other night, she came down at 9 pm to hold a screaming Levi so I could get a couple of rooms picked up in my house. She paced and bounced and talked to Levi to try and calm him down just so I could tidy up. It was some sanity time for me. I still heard a screaming baby but I didnt have to hold him and work at calming him down. I knew he was in good hands and I was able to get a few things done.

I hope that I can be just as helpful to you when you little one arrives.

Tante Tara:

Honorary Aunt to my boys, she was here at my place as often as she could be to help Matty with the transition of no longer being the only child. She took his hand whenever he needed someone to get him something, she played with him when he whined and she read him stories gallore.

Her patience for children that are not her own is exceptional and she is always offering babysitting services so Dave and I can go out. Her life is busy as she writes her thesis and T.A.s but she always finds room for her friends.

Thank you for your time and love.

Aunty Karin:

Although she is in pain with her second pregnancy, dealing with a a sick little girl at home and her husband having to work several late nights in a row, she still made time to bless us with a couple of homemade meals.

She is always so quick to give her time and energy in any way she can, thoughtless to how she may be too tired or in too much pain. She knows it will bless someone else and so she is ready for the task.

Thank you for your constant thougtfullness. I hope I can bless your family the way you blessed mine.

God knew that I needed help and He has blessed me with a number of fantastic people that I couldnt live without. I truly dont know what I would do without any of these ladies.

2 comments:

Grace said...

So glad you have so many people looking out for you, Kate.

Anonymous said...

You are blessed! AuntyB