Friday, May 28, 2010

Art

Being creative is something that I just do sometimes. I am not all together talented at it. All Im saying is that sometimes I just feel like I need to so something artistic. My abilities dont matter. Actually, usually my abilities are what get me to stop because I feel like I just never do a good enough job.

Anyways, recently I have been thinking about the importance of art and creativity and wondering how I can encourage Matty to do more of it. I have watch so many people I know encourage their little ones to create beautiful art work and I have nothing to show for my son.

I decided it was time I started getting Matty interested in it... at least introduce the idea to him. I went and bought him some sidewalk chalk. Matty is an outside boy. We go outside for the whole morning some days (most days actually) and he plays with his balls and marbles the whole time. Now he can even be artistic.
Isnt that so cute? He took some chalk, drew some lines and then threw the chalk. It broke in two and he was all done.

Initially I was discouraged. "Oh no, he isnt interested. Did I start too late?" Then I smartened up and realized he is only 20 months.
Can you see the little scribbles near the bottom of the flower part of my oh so beautiful tulip? More of Matty's art.

I also bought him some more crayons. Big and chunky ones. He struggles to push them down hard enough but he still manages little scribbles. I have also printed out a few colouring sheets frm online and he scribbled on one of those too.

Matty is an active boy. He never stops. I am glad that I started encouraging him to do art because it is another thing we can do in the day. I must admit though, he might stick to it for 5 minutes and then is DONE! If he ends up enjoying it, the time will lengthen.

I love seeing his creativity and imagination. I only see it in his playing now but one day it will become beautiful art work that will be displayed all over the house. I am so excited! I remember seeing both Caelah and Elijah coming home with some beautidul art work they had done and rushing to show it to me. They were so proud of it, and I think they had every right to be. Their little minds created something beautiful and they want everyone to see their masterpieces. I look forward to Matty feeling the same way.

1 comment:

Irene said...

Another great art project for Matty is finger painting. I used to cover our kids little table with a paper garbage bag and let them finger paint, draw, or use pastels. Another is to get the three D crayola chalk. Even at the age of 17, 20, 23 they loved using them. Just a food for thought.

Love Irene