Friday, January 7, 2011

The Hidding Place

For Christmas this year my mother-in-law bought me this book. Inside she wrote a little inscription (which is a wonderful habbit they have with giving books) and mentioned that it was a part of our childrens heritage and one that should be shared with them.

Believe it or not, I had never read this book before. I have read quite a few books about the war. Some true, others historical fiction. All very touching and real.

This book was no different. I loved every bit of it. It was written by the main character and she told of her family and there involvement in the war in Holland agains the occupying Germans. I was atonished at Betsy. A Character that almost seemed angelic. I feel as though I could never live life the way she did. Her outlook on life was always through Gods eyes. She always spoke about the enemy the way Corrie would speak of the victims.

I wasnt able to put the book down. It is a beautiful book.

What was convenient too is that my sister had ordered the movie from the library some time ago and so once I was done reading, we popped the movie in and watched it. It wasnt the same as the book (most movies arent) but I thought it was interesting because Corrie Ten Boom is actually at the end of the movie telling you that that was her story. So much of it is different from the book that it made me wonder who had taken what liberties. None of it ultimately mattered. It was still an amazing story of Gods power and the strength of prayer and faith.

Here is the trailer for he movie if you havent yet seen it.



This book is a must read. dictated through a voice that held no hate or anger but love and compassion. If you havent read it, go pick it up. I am certain you wont be able to put it down until the book is done.

2 comments:

Grace said...

Betty,
I love that book and i love that movie...although I cry a lot.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful book! AuntyB