Monday, January 10, 2011

New Fears and Better Understanding

I never fully undersood why people who lived in the country were so uptight to drive when there was snow falling from the sky. I figured, "well drive slowly and carefully but dont stop your life because of a little weather. Is that really any way to live?"

Saturday, however gave me a good taste of the reality of a little weather. My sister amd I were heading out with all the kids to go and see my house. It was snowing the the roads were slippery so I was careful. The roads were straight for the most part and I felt like I had pretty good control over my car.

Suddenly my car was swirving to and fro and the next thing I knew I was sidways in a ditch. My head was running through what I might have done wrong while also thanking God for the safety he granted us. I didnt brake, that would be stupid, I tried not to over correct, that would be dangerous, I wasnt going too fast, that would be crazy. One minute I was on the road, the next I wasnt.

My sister was behind us and she told me as we were flying off the road she just kept saying "keep them safe, keep them safe..." and the Lord gave her and us exactly that.

When I turned around, my passengers were staring. Matty and Levi simply looked as though it was odd they were leaning to one side, Caelah, who was in the middle looked wide eyed at me. I told her " we're safe, its ok, the Lord kept us safe" and she said "ya, thats what matters.

Jo came and opened the door which she had to hold open with her foot while she stretched to get kids out of seats. Then Caelah looked at her mom and said "well, that was a little scary but it was REALLY fun" with a huge smile on her face. It made me giggle even though I was shaking and too afraid to move out of my seat.

Once I was out, the first car that drove up was actually a lady who lived in the house right across from where we were and she told us if we wanted to, we could come and stay in her house while we waited for help. So sweet of her.

Next a man in a pick up came and he and Jo were actually able to push me out of the ditch. Phew! no horrendous tow truck fines... the trouble, however was not over. The man noticed right away that my tire was completely flat. I pulled to the side of the road and we began trying to change the tire. The man was so helpful. He went to the womans house to see if she had tools and he tried with all his might to get the tire off but the bolt just wouldnt come free.

So it was a call to Aidan. Jo left with her kids back to the house and I visited with the wonderful woman while we awaited Aidans arrival. She fed the kids cookies and juice and made lunch for them, turned on cartoons for them and we chatted like we knew each others. It was so neat.

Eventually Aidan was there and was still in need of some tools. Thankfully the lady thought to call her neighbour who was actually home and he had everything he needed. The spare tire was on and we were ready to go.

The last thing I wanted to do was get back into the car and drive but what choice did I have. The boys got buckled in and off we went. I was so nervous that on the road I had swerved off of I wouldnt go faster than 40km (the speed limit was 80km). Aidan called home to Jo at the point and told her we were going to be much longer since I was going so slow but once we hit a main road that was only wet and not snowy, I grew in confidence and went the max my spare tire would allow me.

We were going to have to stop at the gas station to add air to my spare so as we approached, we were probably 200-400 meters away suddenly I knew my spare tire was gone. I was driving only on the rim. I slowed right down and once again, Aidan told me he was thinking I was being rediculously cautious to be slowing down SO much just to get ready to turn into the gas station. Once he got out of his car and saw my tire he understood. The spare tire was torn to pieces and was just hanging off the rim.

Could this day get any more frustrating? A little.

Aidan tried to put air in the real tire to see if he could get it to seal once again onto its rim but the pressure wasnt high enough. He had no seats available in his car to get anyone in the car which meant three of us were stranded at the gas station. Jo ended up having to be late for a ski trip with Caelah so she could come and get us and Aidan stayed back with a gentleman who offered his tools at his home to help with the tire. My work was done but Aidan was still trying to figure it all out.

Meanwhile Dave was on his way over from the house with whatever tools he might have.

Eventually, they got the car back. The tire seemed to hold air and we were actually able to drive it into to town for church yesturday.

Today I need to take it to a dealer to have them check everything out. The alignment or something is really off and so is the balance so we'll see what can be done.

Needless to say, I am now much more afraid of country driving in the winter. I totally understand how plans need to be cancelled due to weather. I hope my confidence will be restored enough to enjoy driving again since winter is LONG but I will always have a better idea of just how easy it is to end up in a ditch or facing the other way from what you had been two seconds before.

Careful driving everyone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So thankful to God for keeping you all safe, Kate...Whenever I think of returning to Canada, the biggest liability is winter driving - really scary and dangerous - no question about it! AuntyB

Irene said...

You know the interesting thing about this scary time is that you met a wonderful new friend. She gave you shelter, food and comfort. If it was not for this situation you might not have meet for a long time. It is amazing to me how something so scary can also be a blessing in disguise. Thank the Lord everyone was safe. A car can be fixed or replaced. Do not worry you are a great driver and remember you did exactly what you should have done in handling the car. Do not fret dear Kate you did great. The kids as Caelah said got a great ride out of the deal. : )

Grace said...

So thankful that you are ok! What a frightening experience!

Susanna Rose said...

Wow Kate...what a frightening experience but all glory to God for keeping you safe and how great that you told the kids God had protected you guys! It is the best thing you could do to let them know in a situation that He is the one who keeps us safe and is always watching over us!

Anyways, thankful you guys were all fine! And like Irene said, how neat you made a friend out of the experience! What a sweet lady...such an example!