Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sleepover

There are so many amazing blessings in my life I cannot even begin to number them all and these days I have to try and remember them as often as I can because things have started to get difficult.

The situation I am referring to is my husband and I living seperately during the week and then having a few short hours together on the weekend before he is off to the house once more and I am back on my own.

I have had a it really good here at Jo and Aidans place. I am well fed and taken care of, I have helping hands all around and sensitive hearts to my feelings. Yet, I still feel lonely. Where is my other half? He doesn't come home at the end of the day or share my bed or play with the boys.

I had a bit of a melt down a short while ago. Just the stress of being away from him and when I see him he is so tired and stressed that he is not the man I know. I sobbed to my mom because I didnt know how to help him. I didnt know what I could do to make it easier and to help take on some of his burden... or at least help him feel more at ease.

Thats when my mom made the suggestion (more phrased as a demand) that I go to the house once a week for the night. Someone would watch the boys and I would bring a freshly homemade dinner to my husband and help him at the house. Encourage him with my action, speech and with laughter! I feel like he needs to laugh. With all his time alone I want him to be thinking of only good things. It is so easy to draw within ourselves and dwell on negative things.

So that is exactly what I did Wednesday night. I left the boys nestled in bed with my mom and dad and headed off to the house with a huge salad and some dinner.

He knew I was coming and I already heard and saw change in him. Company! A night with his wife at the house where he sleeps alone.

I arrived and he jumped to give me a hug and helped me unload the gifts of food and bedding. I changed quickly since the house is so dusty with drywall dust and other stuff that I would be sure to destroy my clothes if I touched anything. I then asked him what I needed to do. We decided to sit and have dinner first which was nice. We sat side by side, me in a very dusty lawn chair and Dave on a drywall compoud bin and ate our dinner and talked and smiled... It was so nice. Once that was done I had a bit of a more detailed tour of the work that has been done (my house is going to be so awsome) and then when I suggested work, Dave looked at me and said' "Lets just watch a movie. How often do I get to spend a night here with my wife?"

So thats what we did. I made up the air mattress with fresh sheets and clean blankets and Dave set up his projector and we snuggled up and watched a movie together. Everything was just so pleasant. Warmth of his company, happiness and joy filled us both right up with each others calm company. I felt like stress completely left him for the night.

We slept like the dead and when we woke, we headed to the local restaurant for breakfast. I must admit I was eager to get there because I wanted a bathroom. Thats right, we have no functional washroom. When I had to use the toilet the night before I made Dave come with me. Out came the flashlight, warmer clothes and a huge blue tub full of water. The toilet, you see, is in the side of the house that is not being worked on currently thus is not heated except some of the heat that escapes past the door. Once finished in the washroom, Dave takes the big tub of water and pours some down the toilet which then gets it to flush. Then the adventure is done. So, needless to say I wasnt to thrilled about having to use it more than when it was bare necessity.

Anyways, breakfast was wonderful and Dave seemed well rested and then it was all over. I headed back into the city to pick up the boys and Dave headed on back to the house to get back to work.

I have been so impressed with him. He is so stressed out and I see it in him so easily (as do others) but he never complains. He eagerly plays with the boys, helps me with anything I ask for and humors me in small ways but there is always something obviously hanging over his head. What needs to be done tomorrow? How long will it take? How much will it cost? These are all stresses that dont touch me because I am so far removed from that part of the house.

Soon Dave will start working again. I know this is also on his mind. Any work outside of the house brings in money but slows down the work considerably. He so badly wants us all under one roof (As we all do) but its him who has to make it happen.

My husband is an amazingly talented man. He is building us such a beautiful home full of unique things and I get so excited thinking about it all. It was so nice to treat him with a visit (it was treating me as well). I look forward to doing it again. My small action meant so much to him. I hope and pray it helps keep his outlook positive and brings him encouragement that will help him make it to the weekend when we can see each other again.

I am reminded through this whole ordeal of a conversation that I had with my Aunt Peggy. She just told me that all of this is but a breath. While we're in it we think it might never end but we must remember it is all so short. An end will come and other things will take its place. We are on this earth for but a breath. And it is that truth that helps me remember all the blessings I have.

I love you Dave and all the hard work you do for our family. You are an amazing man and I cant wait to be under the roof of that house with you for good.

4 comments:

Grace said...

Kate, it must be really hard but I'm so glad your mom came up with a solution! Sounds like a great plan...and I cannot wait to see pictures of your house. I know it's going to be amazing! Love you so much!

Karin said...

What a good idea, your mom is so wise! and I'm glad it worked out so well. we'll keep praying that this season is over soon and you learn lots from these struggles.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post, Kate....God willing Uncle John and I will visit your area soon and would love to see your new quasi-finished home....AuntYB

Irene said...

Your mom is a wise mom!!!! It is hard being apart when doing stuff. But you guys will back on this and laugh. You will also have fond memories of these special times with Dave watching movies on a air mattress and eating on lawn chairs, and drywall bins for a table. Take lots of pictures because these times you will be able to pull out when you are older and chuckle. : ) I know it is hard but in a blink of an eye this tough time will be over and you will be together in your home cooking up a storm and watching the boys run around the house.