Friday, February 4, 2011

House Date

This week, we asked Dave's family if they would be willing to take the boys so that Dave and I would be able to go to the house together and get some work done as well as make some decisions. They very kindly said yes and so Monday and Tuesday Dave and i had two days just the two of us working on the house.

Instead of writing all about it I'll show you some pictures of our progress with some descriptions of what it is.
This is our counter top. We will be using two different tiles for it. The light one to outline the counter and the darker ones as the main counter top.

The light tile will also be our backsplash.

This is our wood for the dining room as well as the top of the island and the hutch (dont ask me how Dave will be doing that... he just seems to know how).
This is the kitchen floor tile (not too clear but it gives you an idea). Its actually a laminate tile that clicks together but I honestly dont know how many people would be able to tell. I love it.

We spent a lot of time making the wainscoting.
This is just the outline of it but it gives you an idea of the detail that will be our lower walls (please ignore the jogging pants princess over there).

This is the kitchen/ dining room.

This is the front entry way/stairs.

Due to the fact that I am terrified of the tools Dave uses as well as lack the ability to do the math needed for all the angles and measurement (really, it isnt my language), I did a lot of nailing. I must say even this tool made me nervous but I did it.

Dont mess with the nailer.

We also finsihed puting up all the window boxes but one and some door frames as well.

Here is the doorway into the otherside of the house (not to be finished for a while yet) and the front door.
The windows in our master bedroom. Nothing more is really being done up there except paint so it was nice to get some window frames up and it really made a difference.

And while Dave and I had time together working away on the house, Matty and Levi were blissfully playing with Pake and Oma. They had SOOOOO much fun.

Matty and Pake made up a new game where they each take a side of a link chain and Pake pulls him all the way to himself.
Matthew just LOVED the game as you can see.

It was a really nice time for Dave and I. Some time as a couple working together on our house (although I will admit, I did very little compared to my very talented husband) and I so look forward to living under the same roof.

The only horrible part of my time there was that there is still not toilet. What did I do? Well, I'll just have to leave that for another post.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Dave does nothing by halves! You are going to have an amazing house, Katie. I can't wait 'til you've had time to settle in and decorate... I'm sure it'll look so homey :)
-Katrina

Grace said...

Kate, please tell Dave we are amazed with his talent. I am seriously so excited for you. I cannot WAIT to see the final outcome...and I will definitely be sending you a housewarming gift when its all done. It must be really hard to wait this out. Love you!

Irene said...

Elise, David and I were admiring Dave's work. Elise said that she is going to hire Dave when she decides to renovate her kitchen. He has a very special gift. : ) You are truly bless Katie. You both work so well together. Your children are truly blessed with having parents like you guys. Just think of the wonderful things you guys are teaching them and will teach them in the future. " )

Anonymous said...

Your house will be beautiful, Kate! Looking forward to seeing it! AuntyB