Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Large (Huge)

A few years back I went to the allergist because I was miserable. Sneezing and itchy eyes... so much so that it was beginning to be debilitating. At times i wasnt even able to breathe with all the sneezing.

Off to the allergist I went and found out that I was allergic to dust and cats and dogs. They started me on a round of allergy shots. You go every week for 6 weeks until you are up to a regular dose and then you can go every three to four weeks just to maintain the dose. This continues for a year in the hopes that you will overcome your allergy.

My shots were fine. It was a bit annoying having to go all the time but it really seemed to improve my allergies. At times my arm would react to the shot by getting a little swollen or itchy but never really an issue.

When I found out I was pregnant, they had to lower my dosage and keep me at that level for the rest of my treatment. Then they renewed my treatment after he was born.

Today, I went in for my last weekly shot that had the biggest amount of ... stuff ...in it. I sat down with my ice (it helps with the minor swelling and the itching) and waited. You always have to wait a half hour before you leave just in case.

About three minutes later, I looked at my arm. I always do just because I'm curious, not because I feel anything. I was very shocked with what I saw. I even did a double take expecting everything to be normal. I walked up to the receptionist at the desk. She was on the phone so I waited patiently. She looked up at me and quickly asked if everything was ok. I told her I thought my arm was a little too big so she called, "Staff!, Steff!" in what seemed a bit of a panic. Turns out my nurses name is Stephany. I had her look at my arm and she was a bit surprised. "Are you feeling anything else?, Lets go sit down and Ill go get the doctor."

He came to look at it and was quick to tell the nurse to get my some antihystemines. I told him I was nursing and so he made sure to give me a childs allergy medicine that would be fine for nursing mothers and babies. He said there was another type I could take but it would make Matty sleep too much. He then took my chart and started to write something. I looked over his shoulder and saw him describe my hive as "large (Huge)". I chuckled silently to myself because I agreed with him. It was huge. Then the nurse came back with her ruler to measure the hive. The largest I ever had was about 1 1/2 cm in diameter. You know how large this one was? I was going to get a picture taken for you all to see but I forgot and when I remembered, it had already disappeared. It was (are you ready for this?) 8 1/2 cm long by 6 1/2 cm wide. EWWW! It sure was HUGE!

They decided that from now on I would have a lower dosage. You think?! It is odd though, because I was on the full dosage before and my reaction was never anywhere like that.

Stephany was really sweet and was sure to check on me. After over 35 minutes they figures it was safe to go. The hive hadn't grown at all and the width of it had even shrunk a wee bit.

My journey to the allergist was not suppose to be that exciting. At least I have a story to tell about today. Oh, and my arm is mostly back to normal and its only been a few hours. One concern however. Matty has been sleeping for a long while...

2 comments:

Grace said...

Ha...I am sorry but this made me laugh. Especially his description of your arm:)

Anonymous said...

I am amazed at the stories I hear of what pregnancy does to some women's bodies... all sorts of weird and - not so wonderful - changes...Glad you are alright. Auntie B