Thursday, September 11, 2008

Our Little Family

I've had this post in the works since the day after I came home but it has been very difficult getting the time to sit down and finish it. Sorry to keep everyone waiting.

Welcome Matthew Aidan van der Meer!

Matty in his coming home outfit from Grammie and Norma Fry.

As most of you know from reading my sisters blog, our little boy was born on September 7th at 1:21 in the afternoon. He isn't so little however. He was 8. 13. That's the heaviest baby on my side of the family so far. It was a very arduous labour but with rewarding results. It began on Friday night at 10 and stopped at 5 am. It then began again around 4pm Saturday and he was born on Sunday afternoon.

Me labouring in the delivery room.

Labour progressed slowly until they broke my water and later introduced drugs (oxitocine) to get the contractions going faster. By slowly I mean, I arrived at the hospital at 11:00pm and was 5 cm dialated and by 5 in the morning I was 6 cm dialated. This was mostly due to the fact that Matthew had his head turned up and this made it impossible for his head to fit into my pelvis properly. Thankfully, I had amazing nurses and one of them showed me how I needed to sit for an hour. It was a hands and knees position and I have to say it was not the most comfortable. But, results were successful and within an hour, his head was turned and I was 9 1/2 cm dialated. The nurse was happy because I had started to get a fever too. They were obviously a little worried because her coment was, "We need this baby to come very soon". Thankfully Matty listened.

Dave and I called my sister to see if she would be interested in helping with the pushing process and she was very excited to come. I thought it would be special for her to see a vaginal birth. She and Dave acted as support for me while I struggled and struggled to push Matty's head out. the nurses set up a mirror for me to see the progress. At first it was really encouraging to see the hair on the head. Then, however, I started to get discouraged because it didnt seem to make a difference. I continued pushing with my eyes shut so as not to be discouraged and went according to the nurses and my sisters comments on my progress. After an hour and 15 minutes, Matthew was born.

I didnt get to see my boy for a while because the doctors had a lot of work to do on me. They also thought he seemed a little pale so they took him out of the room to do some tests. Dave did say that while they took Matthew to the other end of the room, he continued to look in my direction. He knew his mommy's voice and he came back with the verdict of being perfect.

Unfortunately, my body didn't handle having Matty come out so easily. I had many stitches and the freezing wasn't complete so I felt the process of the needles going in and stitching me up and I was in tears. I just couldn't stop crying. The nurse kept telling me to breath and I had hands to squeeze as they told me to relax... I was hurting and I wasn't able to hold my baby. I thought the worst of the whole process was over when Matty came out but it turned out that last bit was the worst. I hemoraged and they had to introduce something to make my body clot. They also had to press really hard on my stomach to get the placenta to come out which was very uncomfortable. Finally, they gave me a medication that usually goes to women who have had c-sections to help manage the pain. I was cleaned up, my bed was sat up and I was able to hold my boy. He fed from my breasts like a pro. He was sticking out his tongue like a frog the whole time before that. A good sign he was ready to breast feed.

Time in the hospital was alright. I had some visitors the first night but not much action the next day. I was alone with Matthew a lot and it was quite lonely. However, my mom made sure she took the day off work to come and pick me up and bring me and Matthew home from the hospital on the 9th. She spent the morning at my house cleaning it and making it look so wonderful. Then she prepared a wonderful dinner for us. Jo, Aidan and the kids came over as well as Vanessa and Cory and we all enjoyed having Matthew home. Mom bought Matty a very cute cake. She had the people write "Welcome Home Matty" on it but I think they thought Matty was a girl so the writing was in pink. It was a very wonderful gift and very tasty. Thank you so much mom.

Daddy lying in the hospital bed with Matthew waiting for the doctors to dischage us from the hospital.


Blessings continue to pour in. Phone calls, meals, gifts, help and support. Thank you everyone.

Here are a few more pictures.
Before my milk came in, Matty was always hungry. He tried sucking anything while he was in my arms. My face seems to be his favourite thing other than the breast.

Cousin Caelah holding her little cousin for the first time. She can hold babies like a pro. A cute comment she made while holding him was: "Aunty Kate, I think he has a little mental problem because his tongue keeps sticking out." I had to giggle. She was very careful and polite while making her comment.

Tante Katrina holding her nephew.

Life as a little family is growing more and more normal. Dave is home for most of the day today which is a nice treat. It's nice not to be alone this early in the stage of motherhood. Pain is subsiding little by little every day. Feeding is getting easier and Matthew is happier with milk in his belly. He wakes every three hours to be fed which we can't complain about. And God has been giving me the strength to get through these feedings pretty allert. I hear it will get harder. I'll just take it one day at a time.


Our precious sleeping baby.

We had our first doctors appointment yesturday. He still isnt back up to birth weight but the doctor thought he was dong just fine. I don't think this doctor really cared too much. We were told we needed to bring a number of things for the doctor to look at and talk to us about and he realy didnt think anything of it. He didnt tell us what to be loking for and anything. It made for a quick appointment but it makes me wonder how well he is being cared for.

Tomorrow we go to church. Matty will be one week old and he will meet all sorts of people. I'm excited about going to church. I am a little nervous about feeding and everything in public for the first time but I am sure I'll be fine.

Thank you for your patience in waiting for a post. It's hard to find time right now. Im sure it will get easier.

5 comments:

Grace said...

yay!!!!! So excited for Kate! He's beautiful.

Vanessa said...

He is SO BEAUTIFUL! You are such a strong woman and Matty is so blessed to have such loving parents.

With so much love,
- Nessa

Susanna Rose said...

Kate,

So excited for this post! He sure is beautiful and really looks like a Millar for sure!!:)

In regards to worries about the doctor you took Matty to for his first visit, my experience on the whole with pediatricians has unfortunately been that they rarely seem to really care or take the time to answer questions, etc. Much of their approach seems to be along the lines of, "oh silly, worried mom. Your child is just fine...just relax." This might be true but even so, they should take us a little more seriously!!:)

Anonymous said...

Sweet little baby, Kate...Sorry you had such a hard time at the hospital, but what a reward! Auntie B

Anonymous said...

kate-

I was in stitches with the "mental comment" from Caelah. Boy, she and Anna would really be a team of politically incorrect speakers...:)

He is a gorgeous baby. Chubbier babies are so beautiful as new-borns. Mine are always quite spindly:)

Lots of love. It's a surreal beginning, but it becomes entirely more natural and easy as time wears on.

Maryanne