Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Please, No!

I did it to my parents and they survived but I really don't want to go through the same thing.

Colic!

Dave and I came home from an evening out at Jo and Aidan's and we had a fussy boy. We didn't yet know what it was to become.

We took him out of his car seat and Dave proceeded to take him for a bit of a house walk while I tried to get a half hour of sleep. I didn't get it. Mr. Matthew was 'hungry'... or so we thought. I tried to feed him and he wouldn't have it. He just screamed and screamed. I tried burping him over the shoulder and on his side... nothing was working. I tried to nurse again but his back would arch away from my breast in agony and he would scream some more. "What did I eat?" "Does he want to eat and can't?" "Could it be because of his stuffy nose?" Matty really is normally very content. This screaming is not like him.

Eventually I just started crying. They weren't tears of frustration or even fatigue, although I'm sure that helped in the shedding of them, but it was that I could do nothing to help. I couldn't rock him enough, sing to him enough, feed him...

I can't even remember how the rest of the night played out. I know he eventually had a bit of a feed (3:00 am and I was in agony). He only took one side and not even fully. He fell asleep while feeding and I have to admit I was not interested in teaching him to stay awake. We got a little bit of sleep at that point but he was up again with pain at around 6 am. Thankfully he pooped. It was stinky but it was a bit of a relief for him. And he fed a little bit more. Again only half of what he normally eats.

I had some ladies over for a bible study this morning and Matty was calm. No proof, other than my tired face, that he had been bothered at all the night before. He stayed contentedly with Daddy the whole study, skipping a feeding once again. Eventually, I made him wake up, dealt with a bit of fussing and gas before he would take my breast and he fed enough for me to feel mild relief.

He is sleeping now after having a decent feed. "Is it over?" "Will we have another bad night tonight?" He seems to be ok during the day. "Colic isn't just a night time issue is it?"

I had a nap. Dave was wonderful. He took Matty out. I didn't even know they had gone. I slept for 2 hours. Lord willing I will get more tonight. I pray that this is not colic. I know God will help me and Dave through it if it is, but I would really rather not have to go through it.

Mom, Dad, you guys are amazing to have made it through the years of colic. Thank you for not giving up and for working as a team to get through. I have some idea now of what it's like. It doesn't even compare and I hope it never will :)

3 comments:

Grace said...

Sorry Kate! Will be praying that poor Matty gets better! Thanks for posting the pictures...he looks just like you! (sorry Dave but Kate won this time) :)

Anonymous said...

Your mom got the colicky babies, Kate -something I have not experience. Hope it proves to be a one=time event! Auntie B

Susanna Rose said...

Dear Kate,

I've kept on meaning to leave a comment on this post and then just don't have to time so anyways, now while I do, I'll just say that I hope things are going better for you! I hope that you just had a bad day with Matty and that it is not collic! I love the picture of you him nursing...so sweet...he sure is a cutie!