Monday, September 22, 2008

Relief

Sorry it has been so long. Life with a newborn is certainly all consuming. I guess it gets easier with more kids in a sense... you manage to juggle time better. At the moment, I spend my extra time trying to get back on top of my house, as it has really fallen apart these past few weeks and I do a bit of reading. I admit, this post was started several days ago but took a while to get published.

Praise the Lord, we do not have a colicky baby. We have a gassy baby but with a good burping he is happy as can be. I must have eaten something that didn't agree well with Matty's tummy but since then, he has just had gas but not screaming fits like we experienced. We are truly thankful.

It's so amazing to think that Matthew is only 2 weeks and four days and life seems like it hasn't existed without him. Dave and I were both lying in bed and commenting on how normal it feels to have this sweet boy around to care for.

We have come up with a really nice routine.I usually feed Matty right before I go to bed and then Dave will watch him while I get some sleep. I usually get 3 hours of undisturbed sleep before Matty is hungry and Dave helps me wake up enough to feed. Then, Dave is gone for the night (sleeping) and Matty and I have our feeding time. Soon, this routine will have to change because Dave will be back to a regular work schedule but until then, I love the sleep time and Dave loves the special Matty time.

Some unique things about Matty are:
1) After a feeding he purses his lips together and pushes air through them so he makes a funny noise. This happens after every feeding at least once.
2) This is probably not unique but he has a real issue with going to the bathroom. His gas will grow and grow and will get fussy until he manages to push it all out and then he is content once more.
3) He really doesn't sleep as much as they say. He is very much a wakeful boy. It makes it hard for me to do things during the day because I am usually holding him since he is a bit fussy with gas. Sometimes he likes his swing and will stay in there for a period of time but it doesn't last long enough to post a blog entry.

Dave and I love being parents. Every day is so much fun and so wonderful. I know there will be days that aren't fun but it is all part of the blessing of being parents.

I was lying in bed this morning after feeding Matty and as he lay beside me I thought, "Is he really mine?" and it hit me again that the answer to that question is no. He isn't mine. The Lord blessed me and gave this boy to Dave and I to care for but he isn't ours. It's amazing to think of the responsibility that we have to God for this child. We ask for a child, God blesses us with one or more and we must work hard to do our very best in God's eyes with this child. They are only in our care. We cannot be selfish with them or unthinking... wow!

I'd put up some pictures but I can't find my USB cord right now. Pictures will have to follow later.

3 comments:

Grace said...

What a blessing for you and Dave:) Can't wait for more pictures of your baby boy!

Anonymous said...

...The only treasure you can take to Heaven with you!...Auntie B

Susanna Rose said...

Man Kate...you know, this will sound awful but I never really stop to think that my children really are not mine in a final sense but God's...thanks for the reminder! I'm glad Matty does not have colic and that your getting adequate sleep! That's all one can really ask for at the beginning I guess!:)