Thursday, June 24, 2010

Earthquake

Living in Ottawa, I so rarely experience terrifying weather or disasters. I am fortunate to be pretty sheltered from most of those things (many would not feel so safe in our winters but I personally love them- though they could be a bit shorter).

Yesterday, I had a glance into what terror is like when it comes to disasters. And glance is all it was really.

I was putting Matty down for his nap and Levi was in the livingroom playing when suddenly the whole house began to shake. Not just a little shake either. It even managed to make a picture fall of the wall and a book fall off my bookcase.

My head started to swim and my body began to tremour. I grabbed Matty out of bed and ran to Levis side and all three of us waited. In my mind I kept thinking: should we jump under the table? Go to the basement? Run outside? It lasted maybe 30 seconds though I have to say it felt much longer and then it was still. Like nothing out of the ordinary ever happened. The only proof: a book and framed picture on the floor. The picture fell so hard that it landed on my computer cord and actually broke off the third prong on my plug. Thankfully it doesnt seem to have affected the use of the plug.

Shortly after I called Dave to see if he felt it and he had. Then my land lady called me to make sure I was ok (That was such a caring thing to do) and then my mom making sure we were fine as well. So it appears it wasnt just me thinking it was a big deal. For Ottawa I guess it kind of is. No one I spoke to every remembered an earthquake that was so long or so big... and yet no harm was done (at least to any one I know).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember small earthquakes in Ottawa, but nothing like that...Wow! AuntyB

Grace said...

Wow KAte. I heard about it on the news...crazy.