Friday, June 18, 2010

What the Heck?

Last night I slept for a total of 1 hour and 20 minutes. I went to bed at 10:30 and lay there echausted until I fell asleep at around 1:00. The suddenly I hear crying. Its 2:20 and Matty is in a real state. Is it a nightmare? Is it a sore tummy? No idea. All I know is he isnt settling back down. I go to get him and snuggle him. He isnt calming down easily. Fianlly he is calm but he is muttering and I have no idea what he is trying to say. Mostly I am hearing him say:"See. See".

I bring him to my bed. He lies there tossing and turning and whining and talking, so I decide to try him back in his own bed. For a moment I think he may be ready to go back to sleep. I lie down in bed and the crying begins. I figure Ill just let him cry it out but it begins to sound more like panic. I go and get him and rock him in his room. He calms right away but wont sleep. I take him back to bed with me and try lying with him. He will lie in the bed but not without his eyes open and lots of moving around. Maybe its the dark? So I bring him into the living room and turn on the light and use the dimmer to make a little light. He lies on me for a few hours but never sleeps. Ibringhim back go bed with me thinking surely now he is tired. Nope.

Levi wakes up and needs to feed. Its 4:30 at this point. I nurse him while Matty stays in the bed. He starts yelling for me even though now he can see me and hear me. Then he starts giggling. Hes fully awake and ready to get out of bed. Im done hoping for sleep. I put Levi back to bed, get Matty a snack and go to the livingroom for him to eat.

Its 5:21 at this very moment and he has been playing actively for 30 minutes.

What on earth is going on? He wouldnt nap yesterday and he went to bed late and then didnt sleep much at all. Im without any ideas as to what is up.

At least in the wee hours of the morning, when I was holding him on me, instead of being frustrated I was actually feeling happy. I was being a mom. I was holding my baby and trying to be a comfort for him. I was thinking about how these moments will pass too soon and he will be off on his own in his wife's arms and he wont need me for much any more... lets see if I can keep that thankful and happy attitude for the next two days... without sleep I am not so sure my rose coloured glasses will remain. And boy do I feel sick! No sleep is so horrible!

3 comments:

Karin said...

oh Kate, that is not a fun night. maybe his eye teeth are starting to come in?

I hope they sleep well for you today.

Grace said...

Kate. That is awful. I feel for you. Hope you get some much needed sleep tonight!

Anonymous said...

Little ones go through positively weird stages - not sure you ever understand them - but you are handling it well! AuntyB