Thursday, May 12, 2011

Chili Corn and Potato Chowder

I've never been a chowder eater bacause I always associated it with seafood- not a fan. However, this mothers day I made a chowder for Daves mom and family and it was a huge success so I thought I would give you all the recipe to try if you are interested.

2 tsp butter
1 C Chopped cooked ham
1 C each diced onion, carrot and celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced (I didnt add this)
2 T all purpose flour ( I used corn starch due to allergies to wheat in the family)
1 t chili powder
1 t dried oregano
1/4 t pepper
4 C chicken stock (sodium reduced- the ham is pretty salty)
1 1/2 C diced peeled potatoes
2 C milk (I made a seperate littler soup without the dairy for those intolerant)
1 1/2 C fresh or thawed corn kernels
1 C Cheddar cheese
2 T Chopped fresh corriander or green onion ( I had both available)

* In dutch over, melt butter over med. heat; cook ham, onion, carrot, celery, and jalapena pepper, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 mins.

* In small bowl, whisk together flour, chili powder, oregano and pepper; add to vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in chicken stock and bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 7 mins.

*Stir in milk and corn; simmer until corn is tender, about 5 mins.

* ladle into bowls; sprinkle with cheese and corriander and/or green onion.

*** If made in advance: let it cool for 30 mins; refridgerate uncovered until cold. Refridgerate in am airtight container for up to 24 hours.***

It makes 6 to 8 servings.

I doubled the recipe and it was mostly gone after 8 people had their fill.

No comments: