Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Enough To Drive One Mad

Reactine, Benadryl, Proctosedyl, Nitrol in Petrolium, Colace, Apo-metronidazole, Eucerine... All of these items are things that I have to use and take every single day. Why? ITCH!!!

Its been almost 3 weeks now where I have been plagued by itch. It started in one area and then moved to my entire body. I have red spots all over my body and when they get irritated they get bigger and look like mosquito bites.

I couldnt sleep and I was on the verge of loosing my sanity. All I could think about was being itchy, wanting to tear my skin apart because for just a moment I would find some relief. An ailment that consumed every single one of my thoughts.

How does one parent at a time like this? I couldnt. I was losing my patience because I couldnt sleep and could focus on nothing else but myself and discomfort.

Finally I was diagnosed with pregnancy itch. That means that this wont leave me until our baby is born. Three more months of misery.

I take Benedryl at night to knock me out and I take Reactine during the day so I can function. I rub Eucerine all over my skin at regular intervals during the day to sooth the rash.

I had no idea how miserable pregnancy could be. Ive always had a relatively easy time. Not so this time around.

I plan on taking a much needed break after this baby. Maybe 2 years... my poor body and mind need a much needed rest.

One of the hardest parts is knowing that if I choose to snuggle one of my children I will be itchy because they touched my skin. How horrible is that? The other day i carefully lifted
levi up and when I put him down my arm was bright red with rash that had been hidden under the skin. Being deprived of baby snuggles really sucks.

If you think of it during the day, please pray for me and my family. For patience, strength, healing and speedy time to the delivery of our baby. We could use all the prayers we can get.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Kate! If I could just pick you up and soak you in a new skin....I know what you are going through.... Please know you are doing an amazing job mothering your 2 little ones with all this pain - I had a version of this with Esther and after days and then weeks of no sleep I felt completely inhuman, unable to parent and unable to even just LIVE!! I had a new (and only just now) appreciated view of total human depravity let me tell you....

Prayers for comfort and rest and His patience will be said tonight. bless you and this little one. Kathleen

The Matriarch said...

Katie, I have never heard of such a thing! How horrible! AuntyB

Irene said...

Oh Katie that is no fun at all. We will pray for you that this would go away. " ( The three months will go by fast.