Friday, May 27, 2011

City Dwellers Just Need Time

Last Saturday was a beautiful day. It looked like this:

I love my clothesline. I get to look at our blooming crab apple tree and see beautiful greenery while hanging my fresh smelling laundry.

Its rare these days that we have a day that looks like this. Today, for example, it is pouring rain and gray (like pretty much every other day this spring). SO when the day looks like this I get very excited and try to think what I want to do with it.

I love to get out of the house. Running errands, doing fun things... I just enjoy getting out and seeing things.

I have found that since being in the country walking is kind of aimless. To take the boys for a walk means going to the road, walking somewhere just to turn around and come back. Now, dont get me wrong, I love the idea of walking in the country. I look forward to when there are no mosquitos trying to drain me of my blood and Im not so large I can barely move so that I can get out and really exercise. The thing is, right now, I cant. So, I drive places. Thats just what you have to do.

In the city I could load the boys in the stroller and walk to so many different places with purpose or even just for pleasure but actually have a destination in mind. Now, the library needs the car, the park needs the car, groceries need the car... walking is a thing of the past.

So this past weekend, on a beautiful day when many city dwellers would want to get to the country to enjoy nature, I packed the boys into the car and we headed to the city so we could go for a walk.

It was a very enjoyable day. In and out of shops, sun shining, lots of walking, some yummy treats (lunch out and a coffee) and good company.

By the time the walk was over we were all beat. Connor had joined us and it looked like he was ready to pass out from a mix of exhaustion and bordom and I was ready for a nap.

Both the boys fell asleep in the car on the way home and what was even more amazing is that they both transfered into the house while remaining asleep. I managed to get Matty up to his bed and Levi rested on the couch:

1 comment:

Faye @ RawLawyer.com said...

I LOVE your backyard. Love LOVE love it.

If somehow I could get that in the city...