Monday, September 6, 2010

Perseverance Pays

Pregnancy has been very unkind to my body. There are so many women who can carry their babies and simply put on 20 lbs and look amazing even with a full term belly. I, however, am not one of those ladies.

Pregnant with Matthew, I weight about 214 before he came. With Levi I was up to 220. Now, In the end I did gain less with Levi but the pit fall is that I never lost enough weight before I got pregnant again. And with bad eating habbits and extreme fatigue... well the scale numbers dont seem to suggest there is much hope for small numbers.

After having a chat with my sister, we decided to make a plan (3 weeks ago-we begin week 4 today). We decided to be extreme and cut back on sugar completely and really cut back on breads and pastas since they seem to be one of the worst foods for our bodies.

I started this challenge weighing 176lbs. And the weight began to come off pretty quickly. At one point I sat at 169 but refused to let myself get discouraged. Its a good thing when the body adjusts to a weight loss before losing more.

Yesterday and this morning I was 165! This is still a huge number for me but its coming off. I am eating well and still cheat by having Starbucks but I usually have to walk for it to get it.

Today I went on a walk with the boys and when I got home I still had energy. I chased Matty around the yard and felt so happy and light hearted... I think the 11 pounds I have lost have been enough to raise my energy level and my joy.

I know it sounds odd, or maybe it doesnt, but it seems like changing my eating has brought me out of depression. Today was and is such a good day. I dont know if I have felt this normal since before Matty was born.

I have learned with my diet changes that I think I might have an intolerance to gluten or some kind. Having not had much of it for 3 weeks, I sat down and had a small serving of whole wheat pasta with my parents and within a few hours I felt horrible. My stomach was killing me all evening until I fell asleep. It happened another day too when I cheated and had a tiny serving of kraft dinner (really crappy, I know. Yet who can relaly say no?). I was sick about an hour later.

Anyways, I'm happy, healthy and motivated to keeping working hard at this diet. With a walk everyday the pounds come off a little faster and I feel happier having been out. I pray I can continue in this way and be disciplined. Today and yesterday I have been desperate for a cookie or chocolate but so far I have resisted. Usually trail mix or some yogurt helps the craving pass.

11 lbs down, about 20 more to go before I even think to getting to my normal weight or 135. I CAN DO IT!!!

2 comments:

Irene said...

You can do it Kate. You are beautiful and loving do not forget that. You are an amazing wife, mother and friend. We are all cheering you on.

Anonymous said...

Good job! AuntyB