Friday, August 22, 2008

My Handmade Projects

(please forgive the very bad layout of this post. I can't seem to get the program to put the pictures closer together without changing where all the writing is.)

I have days where nothing will satisfy me except to create something. Unfortunately, it isn't quenched by creating a delicious meal. It's usually got to be an artistic creation using my fingers and hands. Here are some of the projects I have done up to now or am working on at this very moment.

My very first project was one with a needle and thread. They're Christmas tree ornaments. These were given as gifts to many people last year. I tried selling them at a craft fair too. Unfortunately, they didn't sell.









Next is my mobile. It is not meant for children since it is highly dangerous with the sharp wire. They are made from old cards, tin foil and glue.











Next, I started knitting baby blankets. This one is using two different wools and the basket weave. It is my most recent finished project and will be a Matty blanket.










Here are my favourites. They will be gifts for my nieces and nephews this Christmas. They are stuffed animals made from socks or gloves. My favourite of all of them is the blue and white dog.










A friend of mine, Elaine, taught me how to make a special border on a project. So I wouldn't forget, I practiced it with cotton yarn and have begun making another baby blanket for someone who is expecting a baby girl in November.









And last but most exciting for me, a baby sweater. I have never knit anything other than straight lines. I've made baby blankets, big blankets, scarves... but, something with pieces I have not yet done. So, this is the beginning of my baby sweater. It is meant to fit a 1 year old. I hope I am successful.







I also enjoy creating scrap pages and doing origami but I didn't bother taking picture of any of those projects. I CAN'T draw or paint or invent truly beautiful display pieces but I do enjoy the projects that I have come up with (or copied) for gifts. I always feel so satisfied when a project is finished successfully. I hope to have a picture of the sweater when it is finished. I'll be sure to post it.

3 comments:

Grace said...

Good job Kate! Love the stuffed animals!

Vanessa said...

So thankful to have been the recepient of some of those gifts!! I'm so excited Henry's a nephew and may just get one of those cute creatures. Don't worry, I won't tell Henry :)

Susanna Rose said...

Wow Kate! YOu should show off your creations more often!:) I especially like the sock animals and the ornaments! Impressive!