Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Successful New Recipe

Yesterday I was in the mood to do very little. However, I still had a husband coming home from a long days work and knew I should get dinner started. I didn't realize how labour intensive this meal was going to turn out to be but once we both tasted it, we agreed it was worth it. And, in the end, I felt better that I had accomplished SOMETHING during the day.

I didn't think to take a picture of the meal... It probably wouldn't have looked the prettiest anyways because I'm not terribly good at that sort of thing. So here is a picture of the cookbook I used (Grace, you should recognize it).


The name of the dish is "Tiny Meatballs with Tomato Sauce (p. 66)". Obviously it is exactly what they have named it. I made a few changes to the recipe because I don't like lamb so I used beef and I didn't have shallots so I used green onions. I also made the meatballs bigger than they said but they were a bit crumbly so I will make them smaller the next time. Something that made this recipe so good was that it used fruit. Lemon juice and orange rind as well as fresh mint in the meatballs and you make you own tomato sauce.

I served it over rice, had a fresh bun with it ( I also made the buns but not the same day) and prepared a green salad.

Once Dave and I bit into it we both agreed on how good it was and my hard work was not in vain. I really would have been a crank if it didn't turn out. As it was, Dave was walking on egg shells when he first got home. Poor guy. Sorry my love.

Most of the meals I am making (or have made) this week are from this cookbook. They are nice looking dishes without being too complicated. I bought this cookbook for Grace and Justin's wedding and when I visited, I was looking through it and became lustful of it. So, when I came home, I went on a search for another copy. Months later, I found a copy.

If anyone is interested in the actual recipe, let me know and I will type it out. I don't want to type it all out if no one really cares to see it :)

As for my day today... I have made pizza crust and a pizza for dinner tonight ( I am really loving the bread maker these days) and I visited with Ness and her friend Kate (with her month old baby Luka who is so cute) and I will be heading to the library in a few minutes to get one of the books I ordered and then off to the doctors (Run on sentence, I know). I will actually meet my OB today so that should be good. He might be able to inform me of what the approximate size of my son might be. Then, I will relax and read my book. My back has been terribly sore the past few days so I will likely lie nicely on the couch or the bed with a nice drink and escape into the world of my book (I might post about the book later because I am REALLY enjoying it).

That's it for now.

1 comment:

Grace said...

Kate,
that is THE BEST cookbook ever. Every recipe I have tried turned out to be amazing! There is a shrimp and pasta recipe that I love. i will have to try the tiny meatballs! (strange coincidence, I made meatballs for the first time for dinner today! They were good...but the sauce wasn't the best. It lacked taste...will have to try yours!