Saturday, August 30, 2008

A Way of Distraction

The other day, I was left to myself to find a way not to be lonely and bored. Sitting alone, knowing you are lonely only leaves room for self pity so I left the house in search of distraction. I always seem to find my place in the same place. The Library, Second Cup and then Boomerang Kids.

This time around, I only had to go and pick up a book so I didn't spend too much time looking around. I just found my book, looked to see if they had any used ones on sale that I would enjoy and then left. My next stop was the coffee shop.

I ordered a strawberry lemonade (which I love) and a cinnamon bun (which wasn't wonderful) and I sat down in the air conditioning and read my book.

I was reading a book called Sister of my Heart by a woman named Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. She is an Indian author and her story deals with an Indian family. I love reading books that deal with other cultures and traditions. Not only does it capture my attention, but I feel I am also learning something from it. The story drew me into the lives of the two main characters in such a real way that I did find myself in tears a few times near the end of the story. It is a beautifully written book and although it isn't the happiest ending, it still ends nicely. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves books regarding other cultures. I plan on finding more books written by her since I enjoyed this one so much.

Once I felt that I had finished with my stay at the coffee shop, I headed to the second hand kids store across the street. It is one of the few stores that actually has decent prices and it is all for kids stuff. I have managed to buy a few outfits from there each under $4. That's pretty amazing in Canada. I didn't spend long there because I had been about a week ago and really wasn't in the mood to shop. So, I hopped into my car and drove very slowly to the doctors. Once parked, I walked very slowly until i found a bench and I sat down for an hour and read some more. Books are a great way to escape. I think you have to be careful when you choose to let one suck you in because it can steal you away from more important things.

And so, I didn't succumb to self pity. Instead I picked up a good book and found some nice places to read it. It was a very pleasant day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Kate! Auntie B

Grace said...

Yes, good for you! I wish that I could hang out at the coffee shop with you :( Sucks being so far away!

Johannah said...

Kate-
Remember I warned you about the sequel to this book...
Glad you are enjoying it as much as I did.