Monday, August 11, 2008

Saturday

I got a lot accomplished this Saturday. It was a nice and busy day. The kind that makes me feel like I have actually done what I should be doing while I am a home maker. Let's see if i can remember all that I accomplished or did two days ago.

My day began with waking up and eating breakfast. I then set to work immediately on making treats for my sisters birthday party. She requested that we all make a sweet and savory hors d'oeuvre that we have always wanted to make. Seeing as how I am not so much a foody yet , I didn't have any idea what to make. Online I hopped and found what I thought was the perfect savory food: cheese biscuits with ham. They were suppose to be circular but I had a flower cookie cutter and thought that it would be so cute to have little flower sandwiches so thats what I did.
This is the dough rolled and being cut.
I then lay them out on a baking sheet to bake for a short time.
This is them nice and golden brown once they were fully baked.
Then I spread honey mustard and a piece of black forest ham inside and placed them on my flower plate.

It's rare that I enjoy cooking as much as I did making these little biscuit sandwiches. I also made my sweet recipe which was called Peanut Fingers. Made of a yummy peanut butter cookie base, chocolate melted on top and then a peanut butter icing drizzled on top. They were a success as well.

Once my baking was complete, I set to work on the task I have been wanting to do but dreading at the same time; the dreaded hall closet. Here are some of my before pictures of the absolute disaster that awaited me.
As you can see we have boxes, shoes, coats...
If I was looking for a pair of shoes, I often only found one.
And anything I wanted out of the way was just thrown into any available space.

So, I set to work. I began by taking everything I could find and literally chucking it out into the hallway. Once the closet was empty, I dusted all the shelves and vacuumed the miserable carpet that is inside. Once that was complete, I place all of the shoes together on the shelves and even managed to get rid of some of the shoes that I never wear. I arranged all our jackets on hangers and put all out winter attire into a hanging basket thing. Now we should be able find our mitts and hats when it gets cold. A lot of what was in the closet was only in there because I wanted to get rid of them. So, they are now in the hallway in respective boxes to be given away or thrown out.

Here is the finished product:
Here are our jackets and winter things and a nice decorative garland from our wedding (I didnt know what else to do with it).
Here are the shoes all paired up and even with their like colours.

And here we have where all the junk was piled. Now it's the home of our vacuum.

I have to admit that this task took me a very LONG time. It was a complete disaster and I really hope i never let it get that bad again. Once it was done, i was sneezing up a storm from all the dust had been around and was very happy to have a shower. Then, it was off the my sisters house to celebrate her birthday with her girlfriends.

It was a beautiful evening. We sat outside in a screened in porch with yummy food and candle light and pillows. We listened to music and simply enjoyed being together. It was a really nice birthday.

Here are the peanut butter fingers that I made along with some of the other delicious food.

Here are some cookies that Elaine made that you could put a candle behind and it was like stained glass.

After several hours, it was time to call it a night and we all made our way home thus ending a very busy but beautiful and productive Saturday. Happy Birthday Jo!!!

3 comments:

Janice said...

(Ya! I found your blog and so I am now leaving my first comment)
Your closet looks amazing! I have to start packing up my room soon so I can move into Augustine and my brother can move in here and I am not looking forward to dealing with the piles of junk that acumulate in all the little spaces we forget about but your post has inspired me! Thanks :)

Grace said...

Wow! You accomplished so much!!! Especially for a very pregnant woman:) Good job Kate!

Vanessa said...

Kate - your closet looks super!!!!